Are you the manager or lead in your company department? Or do you run a small business? You may notice some of your employees are always tired, groggy, and unproductive. Along with that, you may see some unhealthy habits that are affecting their daily lives. If you want to improve your work environment and increase your employee satisfaction, show you care about them by promoting health and wellness. Focusing on the well-being of your employees will not only make them feel good, but they’ll also be more productive and efficient at their jobs!
One way to promote health and wellness in your team is by getting active. This doesn’t mean supplying everyone in your department or company with expensive gym memberships. Promoting exercise can be cheap and easy in a variety of ways! Here are some tips on how to get moving in the workplace:
- Provide wearable trackers or smart watches that count steps, monitor heart rate, and provide additional health info. With these, you can even create challenges and have everyone on the team participating in friendly step challenges to increase camaraderie with a little bit of competition.
- Supply your team with women’s and men’s cross training shoes that can be used for “walking meetings” around the block or for group runs after work!
- Form an employee sports team that can participate in leagues against other businesses or groups.
- Install bike racks at the office!
Focus on Mental Health
Your employee’s bodies aren’t the only thing that needs to be cared for. Mental health is just as important as physical health. Mental health is vital to workplace productivity, and if your employees are stressed with upcoming deadlines, tough projects, and busy meetings, they can succumb to illnesses such as depression and anxiety. To improve mental health in the workplace, try implementing these following ideas:
- Bring in a professional counsellor once or twice a month to meet with those who are struggling with mental health disorders.
- Dedicate a room in the office for meditation. Supply yoga mats, soothing essential oil diffusers, and calming noise machines for employees to meditate and recharge.
- Turn your office into a dog-friendly building. Having pets in the workplace helps reduce stress and anxiety and can boost morale!
Promote Healthy Eating Habits
Unhealthy eating habits can lead to a number of health conditions such as high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes. In the workplace, some employees may bring “junk” food that is high in sodium and saturated fats due to its convenience and affordability. Also, with tight schedules, employees may forget to eat or even skip their lunch! If you notice your team members aren’t eating enough or aren’t eating healthy, it’s time for a change. Promoting healthy eating habits will help with brain growth, alertness, and overall wellbeing. Here’s what you can do:
- Stock your company kitchen with healthier munchies such as fruits, vegetables, and granola bars
- Hire a catering company or food delivery service that provides healthy staff lunches. Not only will employees eat properly, but they’ll also feel appreciated and more motivated by having free, delicious meals!
- Install a juicer or supply your kitchen with supplies that allow your employees to make healthier foods with vitamins and minerals at work.
- Staying hydrated is just as important as staying nourished. In addition to providing healthy beverage options in the break room, you may also want to work with an onsite service that provides IV hydration to your staff.
Reduce Sitting Time
Today, most work requires us to stay behind a computer for hours on end. From responding to emails to drafting reports, there seems to be no time to take a break during 9-5 jobs. However, doctors are now saying sitting is the new smoking. Sitting for long periods of time can lead to weight gain, anxiety and depression, obesity, and even cancer! To reduce chair time while not compromising productivity, implement these following tactics:
- Supply your team with adjustable standing desks that allow employees to type while they stand.
- Invest in cycle chairs or exercise balls to encourage movement behind the desk.
- Encourage your team to take regular 5-minute breaks throughout the day to move their legs and recharge.
- Make your team members eat lunch away from their desk!
The Bottom Line
Promoting health and wellness in your team should be on the top of your list. Employee satisfaction goes a long way, and if your team enjoys coming to work every day, you’ll see it in their performance. Invest time in catering their needs and encouraging healthy lifestyle habits that can also increase their productivity and efficiency!