From Kanye West to Justin Bieber to your friendly neighbour – everybody loves a white crew neck tee. It’s one of those pieces every guy has to have in their wardrobe, and that’s probably the easiest to style for any occasion.
The simplicity and symbolic purity of the white t-shirt have made it one of the most popular garments worldwide.
In summer, you pair it with blue jeans and Converse sneakers; in winter, it’s always there under your sweatshirts, and spring is no spring without the stylish white t-shirt and a trenchcoat or denim jacket combo.
So, why are white tees so popular, exactly?
5 reasons everybody loves a white tee
Curious how such a simple garment became iconic? We’ve narrowed it down to 5 main reasons.
#1 It’s simple
Don’t ever underestimate the power of simplicity, and, boy, it can’t get simpler than white. It’s easy, effortless, looks good, and you can style it without worrying about making some unwritten fashion mistakes.
#2 It goes with everything
Most guys can attest that styling outfits can get stressful and complicated. Well, not with white tees. These go with literally all colours and 99% of styles.
#3 It makes you look good
That’s what’s fashion all about, right? Well, the humble white tee makes every guy look put together and stylish as long as you choose the right quality and fit for you (more on this below). It’s a rare trait for a garment, and we celebrate it every day!
#4 It’s customizable
A white t-shirt is like a blank canvas that allows you to create unique outfits and looks based on your personality. Wear it minimalistic, accessorize, dress it up or down – it’s all up to you.
#5 It never goes out of style
Since its beginnings in the 50s and 60s in Hollywood, the white t-shirt stood the test of time and is one of those rare pieces that never go out of style.
Choosing the right white tee
There are only a few guidelines for buying and wearing a white t-shirt, and if you keep those in mind, we can assure you you’ll always look and feel great!
The right fabric
While there are many fabric choices, we recommend sticking to natural materials and high-quality blends.
Premium cotton, cotton and polyester blends, linen, and fine merino wool are your best choices. Find trusted brands and your new white tee will serve you for years to come.
The right fit
Look, you can get the most expensive tee out there, but if it doesn’t fit right, it won’t look good.
Here are a few things to keep in mind.
- The tee should always fit your shoulders well, not too tight, and not too loose (if you see your collarbones, it’s not good).
- The stitching should sit where the shoulder meets your arm, and the fabric shouldn’t pull.
- While it shouldn’t be too baggy, your tee should not pull under armpits or be too tight on your chest.
- Forget too-long sleeves, they should never be longer than the middle of your biceps.
- The length of the t-shirt should be up to the middle of your trousers zipper.
White tees come in different necklines you can choose from for the best style and fit.
- Crewnecks – the oldest and most classic style. Round neckline, simple and timeless.
- V-necks – as indicated by the name, have a V-shaped neckline and are a little more put-together look plus great for guys who want to appear slimmer and taller.
- Henleys – a shirt without a collar with a button-down placket with 2-3 buttons. Looks excellent for enhancing your gains at the gym.
- Polo’s – yes, your dad loves these, but they’re great for the office or a more sophisticated holiday look.