Words and main image by Sabrina Direnzo
Gallery photos by Topher Shrigley
A sold out show at The Danforth Music Hall on a Sunday night easily became one of the biggest Pride events of the month. A line of fans adorned in rainbow capes circled the block. They call her Lesbian Jesus and it isn’t hard to see why; Hayley Kiyoko is an icon for queer people far and wide.
A true triple threat: the singer, dancer, and actress had everyone enthusiastically dancing along. The intricate choreography combined with the upbeat pop music made for a truly captivating performance. During Kiyoko’s breakout single “Girls Like Girls” a perfectly executed fan project took place. Organizers passed out different-coloured paper hearts to fans entering the venue with instructions to hold them up to a light during the song. When they all shone together, it created a sea of swaying rainbow hearts so beautiful it caught even Kiyoko herself off guard.
The emotional apex of the show, though, was later on when Kiyoko spoke to the crowd about happiness, sharing the message that sometimes when we are happy we often think we don’t deserve to feel that happiness. She ended by saying “if you are happy and content, you fucking deserve it.” A statement so powerful that it sent three bras flying her way.
Leaving the show there was an overwhelming feeling of love, acceptance, and validation. To use a term coined by Kiyoko herself, “20Gayteen” is here.
Under The Blue
What I Need
Girls Like Girls
He’ll Never Love You
Ease My Mind
This Side of Paradise
I Wanna Be Missed
Let It Be
Gravel To Tempo
Latest posts by Aron Harris (see all)
- Your Daily Feel Good – Joey Walker - December 11, 2018
- Filling the soul with Khruangbin, live at the Danforth - December 10, 2018
- Make a Post-Modern Connection with the band’s new single “Memories” - December 5, 2018
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)