How To Do Cuffing Season During COVID + Podcast!

Cuffing Season is upon us. You know, that time of year when happily single people frantically seek out partners to settle down with (I.e. cuff) for the winter months. It begins right after Labour Day and ends around the first snowfall. So, in most Canadian cities, this so-called “season” lasts about three weeks. And this year, Cuffing Season is higher stakes than ever…

Photo by Davids Kokainis on Unsplash

For many people, the pandemic has made partnering up seem more attractive. I mean, a significant other might exasperate you sometimes, but at least you won’t have to quarantine in complete solitude during the dreaded “Second Wave.”

This week’s You Do You is a guide to Cuffing Season. Recorded pre-quarantine, it nonetheless offers sage (if we do say so ourselves) commentary on the sociology of this mating ritual. We also provide tips for navigating it with aplomb.

 

However, this post offers some advice on the specific predicament of cuffing someone during COVID. If you’re looking for someone to huddle inside with this winter, we’ve got you covered. Enjoy!

 

Lead With What You’re Looking For

There’s no time to waste! Temperatures are dropping, and patio weather will soon be over! Since the safety of dining inside restaurants is dubious, you’ve gotta lock it down before the next lockdown! If you want a serious partner, don’t play it cool or coy. Instead, lead with what you’re looking for! None of us have the time to date someone casually for six weeks hoping it will blossom into something significant. Make your dating goals explicit in your profile. Sure, you’ll turn off those who don’t want a committed relationship, but that’s a benefit! We have approximately ten decent days left this calendar year. You can’t afford to waste a socially distanced park date on someone who’s anti-cuffing.

 

Ask About Their Quarantine Style

Are you a super careful person who keeps masks in your purse and would never dream of hugging someone outside your bubble? Well, save yourself the agony of ending up with an anti-masker. When you match with someone sexy on Tinder, ask about their views on lockdown before grabbing a beer with them. Efficiency is key!

 

Ensure You Can Watch TV Together

As someone in a domestic partnership, I’ve gleaned some wisdom about Love In The Time of Coronavirus. Sure, a shared love of art galleries and hiking are great, but you’ve got to be able to binge watch TV with your partner. Everything exciting has been cancelled, but – praise God! – Netflix is still releasing content! You won’t be planning exotic vacations or hosting co-hosting Christmas parties for thirty of your closest friends any time soon. There’s no need to find someone who’ll be a good activity partner! What you actually require is someone who wants to watch Season Two of Succession with you. During COVID, about 70% of a successful relationship comes down to agreeing on which series to screen next. The other 30% involves compatible taste in snack foods…

https://soundcloud.com/sarah-sahagian
We love making content for you. If you love what we do, consider supporting ADDICTED through Patreon today!
Sarah Sahagian

Sarah Sahagian

Sarah Sahagian is a feminist writer based in Toronto. Her byline has appeared in such publications as Elle Canada, Flare, Bitch Media, The Toronto Star, and The National Post. She is also the co-host of You Do You: A Dating Podcast. Sarah holds a master’s degree in Gender Studies from The London School of Economics. You can find her on Twitter, where she posts about politics and live-tweets The Bachelor