Established in 1779, Bowmore has a long history of perfecting single malt scotch whisky, which in laymen’s terms means that they make really great quality scotch that is very approachable to all scotch and non-scotch drinkers.
When you start to try out Bowmore there are 3 core whiskies in their collection: the 12-year and the 15-year, both under $100 CAD at the LCBO (check your local retailer for pricing) and the Small Batch which rings in just under $60 CAD, which if you ask me is a steal of a deal.
So what makes the core line so great? Well let’s find out.
Bowmore 12 year
Complex and balanced, the 12 Year Old reflects the raw essence of thrashing waves, windswept landscapes and generations of tradition. The 12 year is the perfect marriage between sweet and smokey and is not only easy to drink, but very approachable.
- On The Eye: warm amber.
- Breathe In: subtle lemon and honey, balanced beautifully by Bowmore’s trademark peaty smokiness.
- Sip: sweet and delicious heather honey and gentle peat smoke.
- Savour: the long, mellow finish.
The best way we’ve heard the 12-year described: it’s like eating ice cream at a beach bonfire. It’s smooth, sweet, warm, and the perfect way to end the night.
Matured in both bourbon and sherry casks, it’s the final three years spent in Oloroso sherry casks that gives Bowmore 15 Year Old ‘Darkest’, one of the most beautifully balanced the rich, deep colour reflected in its name.
As we move from the 12 to the 15 we can taste and smell chocolate notes with a much darker look and a sherry finish. The sweetness of dried fruits come out in the 15-year as it wraps back around to the underlying smoke and the last hint of chocolate. Instantly you are ready for another sip.
- On The Eye: treacle dark amber.
- Breathe In: delicious dark chocolate, sun-dried fruits and a tell-tale wisp of Islay smoke.
- Sip: wonderful cedar wood and rich treacle toffee.
- Savour: the robust and complex finish with a hint of sherry tannin.
If you love scotch and dark chocolate, this may in fact be the best liquor you’ve ever had. As someone that loves chocolate and a hint of sherry, this is a personal must have for any bar.
Bowmore Small Batch
Exclusively matured in first and second fill ex bourbon casks, Small Batch exhibits the best qualities of both. The first-fill bourbon offers delicious vanilla sweetness, subtle spices and bourbon oak smoke.
If the 12 is linked to honey and vanilla, and the 15 is sherry, dried fruit and chocolate, the small batch may just have you stopping off somewhere in between.
A mix of vanilla, honey, and the underlying peat make for a smooth, simple yet complex scotch that really is quite a treat both to your taste and to your wallet.
- On The Eye: warm gold.
- Breathe In: vanilla fudge, sea air and peat smoke, balanced beautifully by honeycomb and cinnamon spice.
- Sip: mouth-watering citrus, gentle saltiness and vanilla with flakes of coconut.
- Savour: the wispy smoke, bourbon vanilla and lime finish.
Half way between your journey from 12 to 15 you should stop by and try out the small batch. You’ll be glad you did.
For full details on the whole line from Bowmore visit their website today, and remember to not only drink responsibly, but drink that of quality.
We endorse what we love. This post was sponsored by Bowmore for Addicted Magazine.