Prepping for an epic adventure can be a lot to think about. The promise of excitement and new territory awaits you, but you’re too caught up in the prepping process to enjoy the actual planning. Getting ready for your big trip should be part of the fun! To get you stoked for your next journey – and ready to take on whatever it brings – we’ve compiled a list for the adventure addict’s guide to preparing for extreme adventures.
Pick an Epic Destination
Choosing the best place for your next trip should be your first step in the planning process. There are so many incredible adventures awaiting the hungry traveller out there – but where do you start? Our wrap up of trending travel destinations for 2019 includes a few epic nature-centred vacation destinations for the bold traveller.
Two of the extreme adventurer’s highlights include:
- Slovenia’s hiking, camping, and mountain biking adventures for a memorable and exciting journey.
- Rwanda’s wilderness trails and safaris are sure to fulfil the nature enthusiast’s palette for a wild adventure.
Gather a Good Crew
Having a great crew of friends is crucial to achieving the ideal trip. When planning out a big journey, we say it’s probably best to travel with individuals you’ve travelled with before. This way, you know how they like to communicate and what their comfort levels are.
While this shouldn’t be a requirement and travelling with new people can be totally fulfilling, being familiar with your travel mates may help everyone have a more enjoyable experience.
When you’re serious about adventure, it’s crucial to be serious about safety. Whether you’re whitewater rafting, backcountry skiing in British Columbia, or camping off the grid in the mountains of Slovenia, being ready for anything is key to having a successful trip.
Investing in some survival gear can help you maintain peace of mind while you’re out on the road, trail, or anywhere for that matter. What should you look for in a survival kit? Disaster preparedness essentials can vary based on what type of adventuring you’re doing. Some activities like climbing treks or backcountry skiing may require more robust gear than a cross-country road trip. No matter what you’re doing, having the tools you need can help you deal with potential medical emergencies or disasters, so you can forge on feeling confident in your ability to handle whatever’s thrown at you.
Here are some key items to look for when looking for the right survival kit:
- GPS tracking
- Food and water supply
- First Aid
- Shelter materials like a thermal blanket
- Communication tools (radio, phone charger)
By keeping safety at the top of your packing list, you can head into your next adventure with full force and confidence. Plus, your loved ones will feel better about your wild antics with the right gear on your side.
Review Your Packing Essentials
Check and re-check your packing list with your travel buds. Making sure you’re all on the same page with your packing list will help you cross-check each other’s items and make sure you’ve got all of your bases covered.
Packing multi-functional items can lighten your packing load while not having to sacrifice any gear. Here are some of our favourite items that can take on different climates and activities with style and ease:
- All-in-One Jacket: It acts as a light but warm layer so you can stay warm during cool nights – without having the overwhelming heat of a heavy jacket.
- Multifunctional Headwear: Buff has headwear options for both men and women that can act as a neck gaiter, hat, scarf, and hair wrap. These are perfect for backpacking or backcountry skiing.
- Multi-purpose Drink Vessel: A water bottle that can keep beverages cool for up to 24 hours and hot beverages hot for up to 12 hours is a must-have on your packing list. Stay hydrated and maybe even reward yourself with a post-adventure brew in a stainless steel water bottle!
Enjoy the Moment
Our best advice on planning the ultimate adventure? Enjoy the moment. Wherever you end up going, don’t forget to look around and take in the scenery and fully immerse yourself in the excitement that travel brings us. If you’ve got the right crew with you and you’ve sealed most of the details, you’re sure to have an epic adventure you’ll reminisce on for ages.