Written by relationship expert and gal about town Jen Kirsch
Oh hello, old friend. Welcome to the time of year once referred to as the end of fall, but now referred to as cuffing season, to in-the-know millennial. With the weather getting chipper and it being pitch black by 5pm, this is the time of year where people couple-up in a last ditch form of desperation to find someone to – not only spend the cold winter months and holidays with, but to hibernate with as well.
Cuffing season is the winter-time equivalent to a summer fling. You are legit ‘cuffing yourself’ to the other person emotionally and physically (not with actual handcuffs tho, unless you’re into that.) There’s as sense that there’s an end-date, and you and the person you find are using each other for the same reasons: To have someone to watch endless episodes of whatever show was just released on Netflix on a cold, snowy night. Someone to have on your arm at your work’s holiday Christmas party. Someone to have at the New Years Eve countdown, to kiss without feeling as single as you do on Valentine’s Day – and speaking of which, someone to share V-Day with while you’re at it! And then, you bid each other adieu, it ending as fast as it started.
The clock is ticking on the time-frame for you to find your match (because burrrr!), so here are my top tips to get cuffed within a week.
- Download Happn, the only geo-location based dating app: Time is of the essence, so instead of wasting your time swiping endlessly on dating apps, I suggest you download my go-to app of choice, Happn, which now has over 25 million users. Happn is geo-location based, which means it matches you with people who are within 250 meters. It’s your second chance at a missed connection, and once you and this person pass on the street, they appear at the top of your app. This allows you to see all the people that you’ve passed in real time. If you mutually like each other, you can talk in a private messaging window and make plans to meet up in the area you passed at, or at a location of your choice.
- Make plans to meet IRL, asap: You are too pretty/hot/cool/rich/busy/busty/tall/tan/powerful/important/chic/cute to waste your time talking to duds, or people who are just on the app for an ego boost and to test out the dating waters. If you want to lock someone down, don’t waste your time texting back and forth and instead initiate to meet up borderline immediately. Tell them it’s your only free day for the next week. Tell them you’re flying out of town in 16 hours. Tell them they’re the father of your baby. Just do whatever it is to get them to come see you. A mutual cuffer will be in, a pen pal will not. Who would you rather?
- Find dating apps that have features that allow you to connect with ease: Happn has a feature called See You There, which acts like an availability status. You get to select from a list of available options of what you want to do in that moment if you match with someone. You can indicate that you’re free for a drink, a run, a dinner, to catch live music, etc. Anyone who sees your profile can see what you’re up for doing, so instead of having back and forth banter, you can easily arrange to meet up.
- Hit up a former bae: Match with someone months ago, but never end up chatting? Hit them up, and ask to meet up. You matched for a reason, right?
- The more pics you post, the better your chance at getting matched with someone: Lead with a solo shot, and actually only post solo shots (feel free to add a pet in one, if you must.) If the app of choice allows you to upload six images, upload six images. People are initially matching based on their physical attraction, so show them what you actually look like and give them an idea to put a story together about you with your images, as an honest representation of yourself.
So there you have it, 5 surefire ways to get cuffed in no time. Tweet at us to share your success stories at @weraddicted and @jen_kirsch!