Job seeking can be hard work, but the prospect of a new role is exhilarating. To help you kick start your search, check out these top tips.
An AI Friendly Application
According to LiveCareer, ‘98 percent of Fortune 500 companies use a type of AI-enabled tool called an Application Tracking System (ATS) to filter out candidates before a human reviews resume. You can make an AI friendly resume by following these tips:
- Keywords: Ensure that you use keywords that match the job advert. AI bots look for these keywords specifically (so you might miss out if you don’t include them).
- Word Doc: Some AI tracking systems cannot interpret a PDF format. Upload your files as word documents to ensure they are recognised.
- Keep It Simple: When AI systems screen documents, they are converted into a ‘text only’ format. For this reason, avoid unnecessary formatting.
The Power Of Networking
If you’re looking for a new role, networking could be the answer. There are plenty of networking apps that can help you to meet professionals in your sector. Check out apps like Lunch Club, Shapr, Connect, and Invitly. There are plenty of benefits to networking, including:
- Get advice from professionals in your industry.
- Potentially find new job opportunities.
- Attend events and learn new things.
- Boost your brand.
- Advance your career.
Boost Your Web Presence
Boosting your web presence can help you to get noticed by recruiters. First, you should create professional profiles on sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. Then, design a website and write a blog about your sector. When you improve your web presence, you’ll start to stand out from other candidates. When you’re creating your website, it’s important to think about your personal brand. To help you do this, consider the following questions.
- What do I want to be remembered for (career-wise)?
- What is the story of my career?
- What are my career goals?
- Which skills do I have to offer?
Get Extra Support
Consider hiring a careers coach to help you with your job search. A careers coach can help you improve your resume, search for roles, and define your career goals. In addition, they can help you to prepare for interviews and assess your options.
If you’re considering a career change, coaching can help. You might start by researching which careers are currently in demand. This year, cybersecurity is the fastest growing industry. If you’re keen to pursue a cybersecurity career, you may want to look into a masters in cybersecurity online.
Define Your Goals
When you’re job searching, it’s helpful to define your career goals. Are you looking to advance in your current career? Perhaps you are looking to make a career change? A few key areas to consider include.
- Why do I want to get a new job?
- What am I looking for in a new role?
- Do I need to return to study?
- What are my salary expectations?
Answering questions like these can help you define your career goals and figure out your next moves.