Founded in 1987, Mendocino is a Toronto fashion staple for women with style. Carrying the most sought after high end brands from around the world, these boutiques are and have always been a destination for fashionistas in the know in our city. Its sister brand, M for Mendocino opened its doors in the former Mendocino Queen West location years later, and now together the brands boast 19 stores in our city. Maintaining the same taste and edgy style as its higher end store sibling, M gives savvy shoppers the chance to look their best without breaking the bank. The stylish brains behind the M operation have shared their smartest and best fashion tips with me, and I’m passing them onto you!
Let’s start with some fashion basics: What are some classic pieces every woman should have in her wardrobe?
When building your wardrobe, it’s great if you can make sure these classic pieces are there so you can always work them into your trendier outfits.
- A basic black and white tee (we have one at M for $12 that we all LIVE in!)
- A topper that goes with everything – a denim jacket, a blazer,etc. whatever suits your personal style
- The perfect fitting jean for you. There are so many styles available, it’s not about the trendiest denim, it’s about the classic shape that you will want to wear all the time. That could be a skinny, a boyfriend, whatever suits your body.
- A classic trench (M has a great one by Vero Moda for $89)
- A big scarf that can be used as a shawl or blanket if needed.
What trends are you seeing for spring/summer 2014?
Every season brings with it lots of new trends! Just a couple of things you can look forward to this year are:
- Girly dresses – floral prints, lace, chiffon, and eyelet fabric.
- Denim in all shapes and sizes. Chambray jumpsuits, boyfriend styles, skinnies, distressed, skirts, even overalls. There is a denim piece for everyone this season!
- Black and white everything!
- Crop tops – to be worn with high wasted bottoms (check out M’s midi crop top. It’s a bit longer and easier to wear, not to mention easy on the wallet at $25)
- Embellishment – fringe, embroidery and lacing details to name a few
At M we love a variety of colours for spring and summer 2014 –neutrals (black, white, grey, and cream), and pops of red, cobalt and soft pinks are the big ones to watch for this coming season.
What style would you say is definitely OUT and should be avoided?
Fashion is all about having fun, so I don’t think anything should ever be avoided! If you have a favourite piece in your wardrobe that you just can’t give away, update it by pairing it with an on-trend piece for the season.
What key pieces would you say a gal needs to stay in style for this upcoming season?
The top 5 pieces to be sure you have in your closet this spring/summer season are:
- A great pair of distressed boyfriend jeans or shorts (Try the paint splattered Mavis or Vero Moda boyfriend Shorts at M)
- A pretty white dress (like this BB Dakota dress pictured in our lookbook)
- A maxi dress that can be worn day or night (M has some styles now that are buy 2 get 1 free!)
- A vegan leather jacket for those chilly spring and summer nights
- A jumpsuit to wear on the town to replace your little black dress (LBD for short)
How would you recommend readers to mix and match what they already have in their closets to these new and exciting must haves?
It’s always great to have fun with trendier items. That’s what’s incredible about M! Our team finds the best on-trend items for amazing prices giving our customers great value! We also always have great basics to layer into your wardrobe.
If you could share one important fashion tip with our readers, what would it be?
Make sure you are comfortable in anything you buy. If you are comfortable your confidence and beauty will shine through!
If this list has you thinking “what good are fashion tips without the shopping spree to go with it?”, then you’re in luck! The generous people at M for Mendocino and your Addicted crew have teamed up to give you a $100 gift card to help you get ready for spring and summer! To enter just tweet “I want to shop at @mformendocino with @weraddicted! #addictedtomformendo”
Contest closes Monday April 21st , 2014 at 5:00pm Eastern Time. Winner will be chosen at random and will pick up the gift card at the location of her choice. Contest is open to Canadian Residents Only. Winner will be chosen at random and announced via Twitter from @weraddicted. All tweets must include the hashtag #addictedtomformendo to qualify for this contest. Good luck!