If you’ve paid any attention at all to my life, you know that I love Whisky, Whiskey, Rye, and Scotch. Thus I have spent part of my career learning about whiskey, the brands, and the entire industry that surrounds it.
In my latest adventure, I was asked to join J.P Wisers for a day to go behind the scenes, learn more about the iconic brand, and get a little more acquainted with some of their lineup.
As the day took off I boarded a plane bright and early to arrive in Windsor Ontario, the home of whiskey, to spend a day with J.P.Wisers.
We toured the factories, learnt some history, saw some of their products and talked with their excited team to get an inside view of what goes on behind what’s in the bottle.
The day leads us through a tasting and special blending session that allowed us to taste a wide selection of what J.P Wisers is all about.
There are 3 that I would like to focus on today:
J.P Wisers Triple Barrell Rye
The Triple Barrell Rye is Spicy and has that unforgettable rye nose and flavour that dances on your pallet along with more subdued notes of vanilla rounding out with a rich sweetness that lingers.
Easy to drink, easy to finish.
- Price: $31.95 // Availability: LCBO
- COLOUR: Rich Amber.
- NOSE: Intense rye bread spices with pleasant tones of glazed honeycomb, green apples, dried fruits and fine nuts. All complemented with smoked vanilla spices.
- BODY: Complex yet well-balanced. A smooth and silky texture.
- PALATE: An initial sensation of roasted rye spices followed by sun-dried raisins and freshly sliced green apples. It finishes with a mouth-coating praline and vanilla combination.
- FINISH: long and sweet with milk chocolate and butterscotch
J.P Wiser’s Deluxe
With a completely different profile than the Rye, J.P Wisers Deluxe offers aromas of sweet caramel, dried fruit, and vanilla; the palate is rich with flavours of toasted grain, sweet cornmeal and vanilla followed by a smooth/creamy finish
- Price: $27.45 // Availability: LCBO
- COLOUR: Bright Golden.
- NOSE: Full, rich fragrance of dried fruits, caramel and vanilla. Well-balanced, mature oak.
- PALATE: An exceptional blend of oak and rich with flavours of toasted grain, sweet cornmeal, vanilla and rich toffee.
- FINISH: Full, warm and enduring, smooth finish.
J.P. Wiser’s 15 Year
The 15 is one of my personal favourites from the J.P Wiser’s collection, and while I’m a huge fan of the entire line, I have a real appreciation for the 15 Year Whiskey.
The main reasons are that this may be one of the most approachable whiskies I’ve had to date, it’s easy drinking, sweet taste, and a mix of Caramel and spice makes for a stand up sipping whisky that is just perfect neat, or on the rocks.
- Price: $49.95 // Availability: LCBO
- COLOUR: Caramel, with a hint of Amber.
- NOSE: Classic, rich and perfectly sweet. On the nose, you’ll pick up the Toffee and spice, with an undercurrent of caramel, and dried fruit.
- PALATE: You’ll taste delicious Caramel, Dried Fruit, Toffee, Spice, with just a hint of fresh Green Apple.
- FINISH: Full, sweet, and a buttery smooth.
Thinking it’s time to add some whiskey to your collection? All I can say is; great minds think alike.
Enjoy, and remember to always drink responsibly.